Sunday 13 July 2008

The Horror of the iPOCALYPSE

With 6 million iPhone users trying to update to the 2.o version of the iPhone firmware and most likely hundreds of thousands of new users trying to activate new accounts on a global scale, we have witnessed what Gizmodo has dubbed the iPocalypse.

That title had me rolling on the floor for a lot of reasons. First off, I'm an avid Apple customer for over 20 years because they make my life a whole lot easier. They always get it right and in the end we'll all see this is no exception. Yes, it is really frustrating right now, but I was in San Francisco last year and got my iPhone the first week it came out. I spent almost a week getting it activated and was really irritated by it all, but once it was up and running it was worth it. I use it for almost everything and it has raised the bar on mobile communications for me.

This brings me to the second point. When 6 million people come to depend on a device like iPhone users have(as in an integral part of their lives), a total bricking of that device when trying to update is in a way similar to the end of the world. Most of us have all our music, contacts, and a lot of other data on the iPhone, so what happened Friday could be seen as a global catastrophe.

Personally, I wasn't going to upgrade until later because I knew with that many folks trying to do the same thing around the globe, Murphy's Law is multiplied a few fold.

This will most probably all be resolved by next week and then everyone will be happy(I'm working on some stuff right now on that subject). I'm gong to contact those guys at Gizmodo and try to make some T-shirts with them to commemorate all this because once all the iphones are working it's going to be hard to remember the frustration.

The iPocalypse Commeth. Ha! Ha! That cracks me up.

UPDATE: I figured I would just put the rapture illustration in the same post, so here it is. I was going to do a whole survivors of the iPocolypse series, but figured "What's the point?". Apple is already getting it's servers corrected so I think these 2 illustrations say it all.

No comments: